Facts Every Parent Should Know About Adolescent Smoking
Here are twelve facts that EVERY parent should know about adolescent smoking –
- Fact #1: 1.5 Million packs of cigarettes are bought for minors every year.
- Fact #2: Approximately 20 percent of teens consider themselves to be frequent smokers.
- Fact #3: Smokers tend to die 13 – 14 years sooner than non-smokers.
- Fact #4: Teenagers who smoke are more likely to experience depression.
- Fact #5: About 90 percent of smokers begin before 21 years old.
- Fact #6: 1 of 5 addicted teen smokers smokes up to 15 cigarettes daily.
- Fact #7: Teens are at a higher risk for lung disease because it prevents the lungs from fully developing.
- Fact #8: Teenagers who smoke are 3 times more likely to start drinking alcohol.
- Fact #9: Teens are 22 times more likely to use drugs, such as cocaine.
- Fact #10: According to health experts, teens are more likely to suffer from anxiety disorders and panic attacks.
- Fact #11: Teenagers tend to find acceptance in by friends who smoke as well.
- Fact #12: One or even both parents of a teenager are smokers within a family.
Last, but certainly not least, it’s important that every parent teach his/her child about the dangers of smoking. Smoking tobacco may not cause immediate damage to an individual, but it will lead to serious health problems in the future.